Code Self Study Forum

Learn Assembly Language by Making Games for the Atari 2600

I want to watch this as soon as the price drops to $10-12. If anyone is interested, we could take two days (like a Monday and Tuesday) and go through the videos as quickly as possible at a cafe (and/or remotely).

1 Like

More resources:

Seen on this wasm emulator repo:

It looks like he’s writing WebAssembly with AssemblyScript (TypeScript).
https://docs.assemblyscript.org/

“AssemblyScript compiles a strict subset of TypeScript (a typed superset of JavaScript) to WebAssembly using Binaryen”

1 Like

Wow, color me intrigued. I’ve got so much on my plate right now. I’ll get back to you after the second Algorithm’s class in 12 or so weeks.

1 Like

Sounds good. I think a few people are interested. It’s on sale for $12.99 at the moment, but I might wait for a better sale ($10-12), since I’m not in a rush. I do best with those Udemy courses if I put aside a few days and force myself to speed-watch them at 1.5-2x playback speed.

Browsing around on that site is dangerous. :money_with_wings:

I had put it in the cart and they tried to upsell me on this one:
Edit: unfortunately, it looks like it requires Excel, because it uses VBA. :disappointed:

Then they started recommended these.

I saw that the instructor also has two free courses.

Also some other courses on his site:

Don’t try to resist…

1 Like

We should try to make ET. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That would be fun. :slight_smile:

It looks like there were 526 games originally.

It’s hard. I keep checking the price, but it’s still $13. :grin:

It went up to $125 and then down to $13 again, so I’m going to skip it for now. :weary:
(If they do a better sale later, I’ll pick it up then.)

I don’t think they completely understand their users. The difference between $9.99 and $12.99 isn’t just a few dollars. Some of us use Udemy more like an intermittent subscription service, and a $3 difference is really more like a $50 difference, because it’s a series of ongoing purchases. I don’t subscribe to Netflix/Prime/Hulu/TV or similar services — just programming videos.

If they had kept the prices low, with regular $9.99 sales, they probably would have extracted a few hundred extra dollars out of me, but now I make fewer impulse buys there.

I’d switch to Coursera, edX, or a book before I start paying $12.99 per course. It’s really hit or miss with Udemy and not worth paying that much. The 30-day money back guarantee isn’t really compelling, because sometimes it takes me a year between purchase and when I watch a course.

The Udemy prices dropped to $11.99 today so I bought the Atari 2600 course and the Design a CPU course.

The CPU course uses Excel VBA in some sections, but I have a Windows 8 desktop computer at home so I can use that.

The recommended text for the Design a CPU book is here:
http://www.buthowdoitknow.com/

(another $10 for the optional ebook)

1 Like

I wonder how similar the Design a CPU course is to nand2tetris. Looks like it uses Logisim, which seems fun to learn and play with. At one point I was thinking of implementing some of the nand2tetris problems in Logisim. Maybe I still will …
Anyway, would love to hear how that course goes.

1 Like