3D Graphics Programming from Scratch

Note: This thread was split from Learn Assembly Language by Making Games for the Atari 2600

I got an email about the instructor’s new course. I’ve been searching for exactly this kind of content over the past few weeks, and just saw the email a few minutes ago. :exploding_head:

Edit: he also has a course on raycasting. If you click through to his profile (or website) there are many interesting things there.

3 Likes

I started watching the 3D graphics programming videos and they are pretty interesting. It uses C and SDL2.

I was curious about whether SDL code could run in WebAssembly (since C can compile to wasm), and I found this blog post:

SDL 2.0 support is also included via Emscripten Ports - a collection of useful libraries, ported to Emscripten and integrated with the Emscripten compiler (emcc). This is an official, full release of SDL 2.0 - compatibility should be near 100%

He said that he was using C instead of C++ because it would make the ideas more portable to other languages. It looks like SDL works with many languages and on many operating systems.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve just compiled SDL2 on the Pi 4B because the default version is configured for X11 and I needed the non-X version of that. It’s a Kivy thing.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, I searched around to see if Kivy can run in the browser with #webassembly and it looks like someone did it. The demos might only run in Firefox though.

I’m only a third of the way through the course, but it’s a lot of fun so far.

3D rotating cube

Edit: a little further in the course:

3D jet

4 Likes

That’s actually working in Safari for me. :grinning:

1 Like

I remember back in the Pascal programming days building up a 3D rendering engine. It was wonderful as I recall. This would have been in those days when you had to purchase and physically install a math coprocessor chip into your motherboard. Lots of linear algebra. It’s a bit like what goes on under-the-hood with tools like gimp/jimp and Adobe Photoshop.

2 Likes

There’s a new course on 2D physics engines.

1 Like