Secret pages / easter eggs in websites?

I am slowly rolling out my new personal site with more creative and personal stuff and I am hoping to hide some secret pages around the site with some hidden fun content in a way that isn’t completely obvious but still could be noticed by a particularly observant person or someone who knew they existed and was actively looking for them.

Does anyone have good ideas for ways to hide secrets in a website or know any good easter eggs in existing sites?

Things I have been considering are secret codes that can be entered on the keyboard or in a special input box, secret links printed in the console, hidden puzzle pieces that must be found and collected across a few pages to unlock a secret portal, etc.

3 Likes

Sounds fun.

Other possibilities: Maybe a small transparent gif that’s a link, so the user only notices it if (s)he mouses over it? Or maybe a bit of transparent text that’s only seen if you try to highlight apparently blank portions of the page?

3 Likes

How about wiggling or distorting the cursor when the user is getting close to the hotspot?