Folding@Home Team for Code Self Study (COVID-19)

At one point I was running it on as many as three laptops, but now I have it running on only one. That one was rescued from the scrap pile at my wife’s office — it’s 8 years old and has a smashed screen — so there’s little risk in letting it burn away at full around the clock, save perhaps a higher power bill. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s running well on my computer. I just opened the control panel and it’s at 0% CPU usage with no visible tasks. I did see a process for FAHClient running in top but then it disappeared. :thinking:

The servers that send and receive work units are getting slammed by all the new computer donors that joined. It can take awhile to get a new work unit.

2 Likes

Oh, maybe that’s it. I thought something broke with it on my computer.

I don’t know why it has only run 12 WUs on my computer.

It’s running something for myosins now.

There’s a high variance in work unit size. I’ve been assigned some that finish in under an hour, but right now my computer is chewing away on one that’s estimated to take 2 days! The bigger work units are assigned more points though. I guess the idea is approximately equal points for equal computational work.

2 Likes

Team stats so far:

• 6 people
  • 11 CPUs
  • 381 work units
  • ranked 17,711 of 252,430

There is still time to join (team 255371). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I switched my setting to “only when idle” because my laptop is old, has no warranty, and I think it’s working too hard. The fan is always running and it’s a bit too warm. :thinking:

I hope that it’s still enough to be useful.

1 Like

I had to take a break on folding. My laptop gets way too hot. I’d like to find a discarded junk laptop I could dedicate to folding.

1 Like

I’m running it around the clock, but only on the junker laptop I don’t care about. I leave it on the medium setting though, because it got too hot on full. I don’t care if the laptop dies, but I was paranoid about it catching fire in the night or something terrible like that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Josh. My name is David, referred to this group by a current member Mike Devito. I have a bunch of machines with lots of spare CPU cycles. I’ve been running as anonymous. I want to join this group but not sure how I config the program. Its running on a linux boxes. It appears I need to edit the config.xml file but I dont know what to put into the fields. Any help you can give or refer me to someone who can? Thanks. I can also be texted at 4083168924

2 Likes

David can you set your team ID to 255371? That’s the CodeSelfStudy team’s number.

1 Like

Hi there - I believe I have everything set now. I stopped the FAH process; edited the config.xml to set team, add my username (lardass2020) and my passkey, and set power to “full”. Then started up the process again. It appears to be running but logfiles arent being written to. I guess we can check stats in a few days and see if the points show up.

1 Like