What kinds of online meetups would you be interested in? [POLLS]

We had our first online meeting today and discussed some possible formats for future meetings. The meetups would be done with a platform like Google Hangouts or Zoom.

If you’re interested in online meetings, fill out the poll(s) below, and add a comment if you have other ideas or feedback.

Meeting Formats

Check all the items you would be interested in.

• 5-10 minute lightning talks
  • Show and tell projects, walking through the structure, code, and what they learned
  • Pair Programming
  • Longer presentations (20+ minutes)
  • Guided tutorials on specific topics
  • Ask programming questions
  • Coding Puzzles (get a puzzle in advance and then watch someone live code it online)
  • Work on tutorials together
  • Work together on the codeselfstudy.com website (or other group projects).
  • Online hackathons
  • Social meetings (informal chats/coffee, playing music, etc.)
  • Other (comment below)

0 voters

Meeting Frequency

In the second poll below, please check how many times per week you would be interested in meeting online.

0 voters

Leave a comment below if you have other ideas. :slight_smile:

Preferred online meetups would be IRC sessions, 5-10 minute lightning talks, and/or longer presentations 20+ minutes (but less than an hour total)… all held at pre-arranged times. Also, would have to insist, at least for myself, not to use Google Hangouts for various Privacy, Tracking, and Data Collection reasons – could be called the Can I Effectively Run Conferencing Platform in the Tor-Browser? criteria :wink:

1 Like

I don’t like Google, but unfortunately there aren’t many alternatives that would work for everyone. The service needs to be easy to install and use or most people won’t use it. I’ll keep searching. :confused:

I don’t like Slack either, but I tried IRC for a long time and only one other person used it. I had to make a choice — either have a chatroom with just a few people in it or use something like Slack.

I don’t like Google, but unfortunately there aren’t many alternatives that would work for everyone. The service needs to be easy to install and use or most people won’t use it. I’ll keep searching.

Another option is what PaulH very recently wrote on the CodeSelfStudy Slack site (Slack) :

I may chime in. Also been using the Jit.si service that Kevin posted some time ago. https://meet.jit.si/

I may just go through one or more YouTube tutorials (ironically also Google-related, like Hangouts :slightly_frowning_face: ) for jit.si / jitsi to get better up-to-speed on this option. Apparently, there has also been a bit of chatter on the SudoRoom discussion-list on using Zoom for Video Conferencing, Web Conferencing, Webinars, Screen Sharing.

I don’t like Slack either, but I tried IRC for a long time and only one other person used it. I had to make a choice — either have a chatroom with just a few people in it or use something like Slack.

SudoRoom is also making available for interested parties its Chat/IRC channel and its related shared-invitation Omni Commons workspace on Slack (would rather not provide the direct invite link to the Omni Commons/SR workspace on Slack at this time.)

Zoom works well, but it has a limit of 40 minutes for meetings with more than two people.

We just tried https://meet.jit.si/ and that looks like it will work. I’ll post a link in chat in the #meetups channel at noon.

What about discord?

I looked up Discord and it says it can do video for up to 10 people (same limit as Google Hangouts). I think it’s so similar to Slack that it might split the community between two different chat systems and people wouldn’t know which chatroom to check for messages.

jit.si was okay and seems like it could work for now.

Here is a link to a Google Doc where we’ve been brainstorming ideas. You can comment on sections by highlighting text.

I just found out that Zoom is only $15/month, so that might be an option.